Monday, September 6, 2010

Farewell, Long Weekend

I love Labor Day weekend. This is true in general; but this particular weekend was so very nice that I really hate to see it go. MDH and I were married on a Labor Day weekend four years ago, and we've found that it's a very convenient anniversary weekend for getting away to somewhere exotic and romantic.... Or for staying home and actually finishing the laundry for once.

Usually Labor Day and/or our anniversary totally planned - trips, dinners, nights out, etc. This year, we had no babysitter lined up and almost no plans for how the weekend would unfold, and it turned out to be the best possible approach. It just kind of.... flowed. Somehow we managed to work in a meal with my Dad, four separate & wonderful meals with some of our closest friends, a bit of hiking, a bit of shopping, a few productive hours of working around the house, a couple of good-bad movies on TV, naps, cleaning, laundry, errands, board games, college football (naturally) and even the kids' Shabbat service at our synagogue.... all without ever once feeling rushed or over-scheduled. It was awesome.

Sometimes, instead of trying to take advantage of every "free" minute, it's good to just go with the flow and follow the weekend where it takes you. It's been a long time since I felt like I could face a stretch of even a few hours with a "Sure, whatever..." attitude; and I have to tell you I loved every minute of it. Maybe I should try to take this approach more often, just following the day wherever it goes and letting my expectations take a backseat. Maybe tomorrow I'll toss out the day planner and just move through the day, accepting each moment as a gift with no guarantees for the future.

Yes, I'm tossing the day planner right now. Just going to glance at it for tomorrow's client schedule (obviously that's essential for showing up on time). Hmm... tomorrow is a little busy. 

Still, there has to be some way of carrying forward this wonderful concept of going with the flow, just allowing the day to carry me where it will. Maybe I'll go with the flow on Wednesday? Well, on second thought, I'm looking at Wednesday and there is a meeting I need to coordinate around, and a couple of pretty essential things happening in the afternoon, and of course the high holidays start in the evening.... (A bit premature, perhaps, for throwing out the planner.)

So if I actually write "Go With The Flow," in big red letters in my planner for next Thursday from 2 to 4 p.m., does that negate the point? ;)

No comments: