Friday, September 10, 2010

The Days of Awe; Plus a New Look for a New Year

It's the second day of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. So we are two days into 5771, as well as the High Holidays, otherwise known as Yamim Noraim (the Days of Awe). I love this time of year. The ten days from the start of Rosh Hashanah to the end of Yom Kippur are a time for reflection, time with family, and spiritual invigoration.

Unlike the secular/gregorian new year, the high holidays are not marked by fireworks and an excess of champagne, or by a Ryan Seacrest special [though it would be pretty funny to imagine that one].  Instead, we spend lots of time having meals with family, attending long temple services, and enjoying beautiful symbols of the season -- like pomegranate for fertility and good deeds, the round challah to represent the natural cycle of each year and each life, apples and honey for a sweet new year.

This is a time for both reaching out and turning inward. Connecting with family and friends. Reflecting back on the previous year and looking forward to the year ahead. During this time we are asked to account for our mistakes from the past year, make amends when possible and move forward on a better path. These are not really new year's resolutions -- at least, not in the dieting and budget-balancing sense -- but a more subtle and spiritual realignment of priorities. I feel compelled at the high holidays to really think about my role in the world and how I could improve my performance in that role. Well, not compelled, really. Inspired.

This introspection and self-correction culminates during the fast of Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement. On that day, we have the opportunity to leave behind worldly concerns -- like food and hygiene -- and instead focus on holding ourselves accountable for all our transgressions. [More on that later.] I also believe it's a time for forgiveness and letting go of wrongs that have been done to us, even those for which we've received no apology. Way, way, way easier said than done -- but I am going to try.


Reflecting back on the past year, I see lots of blessings and a few challenges. There are achievements and some "growth opportunities" as well. For one thing, I know that there are many areas of my life that need deepening, rather than spreading out. A little more tortoise and a little less hare. And definitely less crazed headless chicken. A little more simplicity of habit, and complexity of thought. Fewer commitments, but more deeply committed. At least it sounds good in theory.

Our rabbis also talked this week about giving life to your dreams, and having the courage to pray for others' needs before your own -- even for something you want and need yourself. Right now I'm interpreting the former to mean giving time, energy and a sense of confidence to some dreams I have allowed to go on the back burner. And the latter, well -- it's simple enough, except for the execution. There's work to be done here, for sure.

My first task, however, is to work on holding myself accountable for the past year and making amends. And you know I'll be blogging about that, too.

**********************

Meanwhile, you might notice that I've also simplified the design of this blog. It's been three years, and it was time for an update. I hope the change makes it easier to read.

I hope everyone will enjoy a happy, healthy and sweet new year. L'Shanah Tovah.

No comments: