Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Plastic Scissor Award #1

Welcome to the inaugural presentation of the Plastic Scissor Awards: an occasional (sporadic) tribute to those who fly in the face of convention, reason, and general good sense in order to follow their passions. To those who insist on learning every lesson the hard way, who shamelessly come back for more after getting their hearts broken, and who rely on the courage of their convictions to guide their creative hands -- even when that means decorating the living room with permanent marker or taking apart your parents' radio to see how it works.

Or, perhaps, getting a master's degree to make less money than before doing something you love...

{I originally thought of calling these the "Golden Scissor Awards" but I was a little concerned that people would confuse me with these folks. Besides, I want to stay true to the spiritual origins of the blog and honor those colorful little safety scissors that so many of us used to give Barbie a permanent punk-rock makeover.}

The first award, appropriately, goes to a fellow counselor and Atlanta native: Samuel T. Gladding. Dr. Gladding is one of the most prolific, knowledgeable and well-respected academics in our field. He writes and teaches from Wake Forest University, where I have no doubt there are long virtual lines on registration day to get into his classes.

That's the stuff for which he gets mainstream recognition....

Yesterday, I was referencing my old group therapy textbook, which Dr. Gladding authored, and I noticed something that didn't hit me the first time I read it last year. You know how some books have a title page before each chapter with a picture, inspiring quote, etc.? Well, apparently Dr. Gladding decided to forego the standard natural imagery and inspiring quotes from Emerson or Thoreau, or even Freud or Jung.

No. Beneath the black and white picture that begins each chapter of the book, Dr. Gladding includes a selection of poetry. His own poetry. About the group process in therapy. No kidding. Here are some snippets:


We sit like strangers in hard-backed chairs

at right angles from each other -

On the corners our sentences meet

reflecting our thoughts and our lives

Slowly, messages in our minds

make a move, a personal process
whose destination is undetermined


and


A fan of Garfield, Snoopy, Calvin and Hobbes

He names his erasers after one he called "Bob"

And further stimulates the group's sensations

By using his growing imagination.



Now, I can't think of a better way to encapsulate the idea of the plastic scissor award than this. To have the courage, in the high-brow world of academia, to chuck tradition and put yourself out there by sharing poetry that is -- let's face it -- pretty terrible from an artistic perspective, but which expresses your creative passion for your work.

Is Dr. Gladding going to win a Nobel Prize in Literature or a Bridport Award? Probably not. I'm not exactly a likely candidate either [and believe me, I've written far worse poetry than this in my day]. But you have to admire the joy he seems get from the process of writing and sharing, and from the work that inspires him to do so.

I mean, when was the last time you felt passionate enough about your vocation that you thought about writing a poem? Maybe we should all be so fortunate. Doesn't a rockstar software implementation deserve a killer song to go with it? Or perhaps an interpretive dance about beating this month's sales quota. I successfully finished a project, I think I'll write a haiku!

I'm only being a little bit fecetious. So many people I know get so caught up in surviving their jobs and their lives that they don't give themselves time to rejoice in the journey and celebrate the victories.

So in honor of (and with sincerest apologies to) Dr. Samuel T. Gladding, and the first-ever Plastic Scissor Award, I'd like to invite readers to comment with a poem, song, or pure exclamation of joy about some part of your job. It can be a haiku, limerick, freestyle or simple A-B rhyming couplets. It can be about the job you have, the job you want, or the really nice breakroom where you work.

If you need some additional inspiration, try this very bad poetry site. Good luck!

11 comments:

M.J. Pullen said...

I'm going to kick things off with a small, horrible tribute to my past experience as an office temp:

"Kindergarten and Corporate America"

Filing for eight hours -
woozy, forgetful. Forced to
sing the alphabet.

Hilary D said...

Ok Manda, here it goes:

Ode to Intake

answering the phones
perky voice; bad on-hold music
need more starbucks

Chris said...

Here's 2 for you:

"She like to make jewelry. Necklaces especially. She makes them out of washers and bolts that she finds on the floor of her father's hardware store. Strings them with nimble fingers that like to stay busy- you know, idle hands and all that."
----
This one is a little morose (all apologies, kind readers)...

"I sit across from her,
Her life: A cautiously-constructed shamble,
Held together with the glue of denial and a fifth of scotch,
Her perfume the smell of one more try."

Grimlock said...

Group of programmers,
sarcasm their currency,
I'm a millionaire.

Note: Not actually a millionaire.

M.J. Pullen said...

DSM-IV, Haiku-I

Three twelve point three nine
Trichotillomania
Pulling your hair out

Cynthia L. Landrum said...

This site generated this haiku off my livejournal site, which I think falls in the category of occupational poetry for me:

try to get up there
but it ain't god things i
bought and where i went

Kristin P said...

Snotty noses run
Oxygen saline suction
Breathe well little one

ponch said...

Will this one have luggage space?
Will this one drive on gas?
Will this one have enough seats
To carry all that ass?

This one looks too old.
This one costs too much.
This one looks like it just crawled in...
With one limp wheel and a burnt out clutch.

Buses buses everywhere.
Some are old and some brand new.
Come walk on my lot with me
And let me sell a bus to you.

hoodawg said...

Born to Settle

Tell me a story
Of commerce gone dead!
Bring me your troubles
I'll lay them to bed.

Spin me a yarn
Of a purchase and sale;
I'll find a way
To get checks in the mail.

Have an employee
Who can't do the work?
Gone she will be
(Even if you're a jerk).

Spilling your waste oil
In your neighbor's pond?
We'll make a deal
Of which he'll be fond.

You make the mess.
I'll clean it up --
That's what settlers do
And why I'm in my cup.

Joel Fuernsinn said...

It is four a.m.
Bleery eyes search for issues
Database stays up

Matt F. said...

Copyright infringement
$9.99 coupons made
Six Flags for ten bucks
-----------------------

I got a call at work from Six Flags the other day. Apparently one of their employees was at a local OfficeMax making numerous copies of a $9.99 park entrance fee coupon they had (apparently one of their best.) I'm not really into Six Flags, but for 10 bucks?!? Even I'd be up for that! :)

[Technically "copyright" is 3 syllables, and not 2, but when you say it (fast) it sounds more like 2, so I used it! *g*]