Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Breast Blog of the Year - Part Two

You know you want to. You do. You're going to do it.

You're going to click this link and make a donation to the Avon Foundation for Breast Cancer in support of my 39.3-mile walk in Chicago this summer. The fact that you're going to give isn't in dispute. What might be up for discussion is how much.

It's so hard to know what amount is appropriate to give for something like this; and having been in that dark and indecisive place myself, I decided to create some suggestions for you. Aren't I helpful? I know, I am!

Here are some options:
  • Contribute $12 in honor of Madonna -- Queen of the Cone Bra. That's $1 for each Number One hit.
  • Give $1 each for all the healthy, wonderful women you're grateful to have in your life. In fact, since this is all about good things that come in pairs, better make that $2 each.
  • You could go with the classic $1 per mile. An oldie but a goodie. That's $26.20 for the marathon on Saturday, $13.10 for the half-marathon Sunday, or $39.30 for the whole sha-bang.
  • In the Jewish tradition, the number 18 symbolizes life - so give life by giving $18. If you choose this method, you should toast a glass of your favorite beverage and say "L'Chaim" as you click the donation button. Or, give $36 and toast twice. At $54, make sure you have a designated driver!
  • How about $1 for each year we've known each other? I'm quite blessed to say this could get expensive for some people!
  • Give a penny for each number in the year your all-time favorite movie was released. So Casablanca would be $19.42; Pulp Fiction $19.94; The Godfather $19.72; LOTR Return of the King $20.03..... (Personally, I wouldn't put Tombstone on this list, but who am I to judge? And I'll be happy to take the $19.93 anyway).
  • Count the number of women in your Facebook friends list and give 10 cents for each of them. If you've ever wondered why there's no "cents" key on the modern keyboard, add an extra dollar.
Whatever you decide to donate, or even if you just decide to contribute encouragement, please know that I deeply appreciate your support -- both of my personal undertaking and the cause of breast cancer awareness & treatment. As always, thanks for reading!!

5 comments:

Kristin P said...

Hmmm I will have to come up with some creative calculation......

M.J. Pullen said...

Thanks, Kristin! I really appreciate your support.

Grimlock said...

The Tombstone thing was un-called-for. Jerk!

Kristin P said...

Alright! Jeff and I are pledging 3 dollars per mile you walk. That is a dollar per mile for Jeff, myself and uh...Layla!

M.J. Pullen said...

Wow: Thanks, thanks, and WOOF! ;)