Tuesday, September 9, 2008

It's Pat on the Back Day!

And this time I don't mean self-flagellation!

I have to be honest, it's been a rough few weeks for me motivation-wise. My energy has been spread in a lot of directions lately, both personally and professionally, and some days it has been all I can do just to keep up. I felt I was struggling just to make it through each day without being overwhelmed by my to-do list, and yet actual progress on any of my goals seemed elusive and far off. It's that old hamster on the wheel feeling....

This isn't unfamiliar territory for me. I'm totally the type of person who loves getting into 1,000 things at once; and I have the attention span of a fruit fly. I love throwing myself into something, especially when it's new and novel, and being passionately committed to it.... until things start to stall out. It gets boring or hard or doesn't pay off quickly enough and I become full of self-doubt and frustration.

In the past, those feelings would've sent me scurrying on to the next venture or distracting myself with something more immediately gratifying (and, believe me, it's still tempting)! But I've been trying to turn over a new leaf in this arena, at least partially; and while I'm trying not to lose my energy for life's variety (I certainly still have that going on), I am also working hard at sticking to things longer, even when they begin to feel a little like drudgery.

For someone like me, this is no easy task. But I've been working hard at it in the past couple of years. So during the last weeks' struggles, I tried to channel my frustrations into productivity; and it has really paid off in a couple of different ways.

First, even though I am not even close to being a runner, I've been pushing myself to stick with my running and walking routine, even when it got boring, my fitness buddies weren't available for support, and I have been TOTALLY frustrated that my hard work isn't showing big results on the scales (yet). But this Saturday I finished a 5K almost 4 minutes faster than my time a couple of months ago. Sure, it was mostly downhill, so I had a lot of help from gravity; but I ran way more than I ever have before, and I was proud of myself nonetheless! My sore muscles this weekend have been a badge of honor.

I also finished a big work project this weekend (my new e-book, woo-hoo!). It was the first such undertaking I've ever actually completed by myself, for myself -- with no editor or boss imposing artificial structure for me. I worked on it with just about every spare hour I've had in the last several weeks, and it has been really challenging. I wrote during many times when normally I would've been watching TV, hiking, shopping, hanging out with friends, sleeping in, or just relaxing.

And even though I made sure to keep doing those things sometimes to stay balanced, there were several moments where it felt like an uphill battle just to force myself to the computer and sit down to write. Self-doubt is also a major player in the writing process for me -- on the one hand, it pushes me to look closely at how I can improve each sentence; but on the other it can overwhelm me with feelings of utter incompetence. Who do I think I am, anyway, writing a book? What makes me think I can do this? Sometimes I just wanted to abandon ship... let someone smarter or braver write the book, I'm going to watch "Psych!"

But this morning the struggle paid off - at least for my own personal edification. I got to send an e-mail out to my networks, telling everyone that the book is done and ready for sale online. I got so many supportive and congratulatory responses from friends and family, that I felt all warm, fuzzy and proud. And whether anyone actually buys the book or not, I get to enjoy the satisfaction that I actually finished it!

So now I'm trying to relax and allow myself to enjoy this tiny moment of personal achievement, before moving on to the next challenge. The momentum is carrying me forward, but I'm trying to stop and celebrate (the way I always tell my clients they should celebrate) even these small milestones for what they are......

Now, what can I get into next??

1 comment:

Cynthia L. Landrum said...

Congratulations on the new book!