Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Lesson #28: Listen to your body, even when your body is an irrational idiot.

For some unknown reason, my internal clock decided to go off this morning before 4:30 a.m. This seems to happen to me more and more these days -- of course, never on those days when I need to be up early for something. It's always on a day like today when I'll be working until 9:00 p.m. and I'll need half a case of Diet Mountain Dew to keep me going.

In general, I try to listen to my body as much as possible -- I've found that it's a good harbinger of what I really need: physically, emotionally, and mentally. I'm starting to develop a pretty decent relationship with my inner signals and what they mean, and my life has definitely been better for it.

On days like today, however, it's more like arguing with Lumbergh from Office Space:

Body: Um, yeah. I'm sorry to bother you, but I'm going to need you to go ahead and get up now.

Self: Wha? No... no... [soft whimper]

Body: Um, yeah. Unfortunately, that's the word from upper management. Apparently it's hot here and we're hungry, so we're going to have to ask you to go ahead and just get up. Out of the bed. It's nothing personal.

Self, blearily: It's 4:17. You've got to be kidding. I have to work a 12 hour day today. I need some sleep.

Body: Well, you know, if it were up to me, I would absolutely let you sleep in. I'm all about that whole "sleep until the alarm goes off" philosophy. Sure, it never won any battles, but ---

Self: Wait. What? What are you saying?

Body: Nothing. No, nothing at all. It's just... well, I don't want to tell you how to do your job or anything, but it kind of seems like maybe you haven't crossed much off the old "To Do" list lately -- haven't posted a blog in a week or so -- and maybe there are some things....

Self: You don't think I'm productive enough?

Body: Not what I'm saying. Of course not - sure you are. You're great and all. I'm just saying that maybe someone who sleeps a little less might get more accomplished. That's all. You're fine. Really. You know what? Why don't you just go on and go back to sleep? We'll just be productive another time.

Self: Well, okay I guess .......... But, now I'm awake.

Body: Super. Now get me some coffee.

No comments: