Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hello again, hello...

I've noticed that the long gaps in my blogs (such as the one preceding this entry) seem to take place when I either have too little or too much going on in my life. Too little, and I don't feel I have anything of substance to share. Too much, and I have no time to formulate my thoughts or sort out what's interesting from what's... blogging banality.

This time around, it has definitely been the latter. I spent the month of May getting feedback from my alpha readers and doing some reworking of THE MARRIAGE PACT. I also did a little traveling for my other job, and we've been working hard to make plans for Little Frodo Baggins (the in utero name for Baby Boy #2).
Notice I said "making plans," rather than "making preparations," because preparations might be visible to the naked eye, while our plans have mostly been making lists of lists and talking things over in a general sort of way. It's a good thing the poor kid can't see how not ready we are for him, otherwise he might be kicking me even harder than he already is.

We've encountered some major new challenges as a family in the past couple of weeks, which I won't share now, but will definitely require some attention, energy, and spiritual focus on our part. Add a much-needed and wonderful family vacation with just the two of us plus Little Monkey, and it has been a jam-packed month. I'm hoping June will be calmer and slightly more predictable.

On the writing front, I am excited to say that TMP is currently being proofread by a very talented and forthright friend who I expect will improve its readability substantially. The cover design is in its final stages as well, so be on the lookout for that -- the amazing Marla Kaplan has rendered it beautifully. And while I'm spewing gratitude, my favorite band, The Old 97's, gave me official permission to use some of their lyrics in the book. Check them out, buy some music, enjoy the improvement to your life.

My official Facebook author page is also live and ready to go. If you haven't 'liked' it already [the word 'like' is slowly acquiring a whole new meaning thanks to social networking... along with 'friend'] please do so: www.facebook.com/MJPullenbooks

Meanwhile, I am navigating the world of electronic publishing, and probably making it way more confusing than it actually is. I have finally reached the point in my life where technology makes me feel very, very old. I may have to hire a brilliant 18-year-old to get me through it! Having lots and lots of other things on my mind is probably not helping my attention span, so I'm working hard on practicing those centering and relaxation techniques I'm always pushing on my therapy clients. Way easier said than done. 


The good news about all that's happening is that it will make being 6 to 9 months pregnant in the Georgia summer seem like a piece of cake! Sweaty, swollen, cranky cake. But still, as long as there's icing...

No comments: