Thursday, February 10, 2011

Weird Have Been My Dreams of Late

I was driving somewhere with my family, I don't remember where. We were near the intersection of Piedmont and Bells Ferry in Kennesaw.

The blue lights in the mirror were a surprise; I checked my speed and verified that I was going 37 in a 35 zone. I wondered if I'd missed a school zone sign somewhere. There was no place to pull over on the four-lane road, so I slowed down but continued up the little hill. That's when I noticed that the entire road was blocked ahead, with at least six police cars. At the four-way stop they were pulling drivers over in all four directions. Cars were parked all along the roadside, in parking lots and up on the grassy hills that led down to the roads.

I slowed down and checked quickly to make sure we all had our seat belts on and car seat straps securely fastened. The officer who pulled us over was blond and pudgy, but still sort of handsome. He asked me a series of questions:

"Ma'am, do you know how fast you were going?"

"Yes. About 37."

"Mmm...hmmm. Do you have any weapons, drugs or other contraband in your car?" He raised his eyebrows on this last point significantly.

"No, sir, I don't think so."

"Then you won't mind if we search your car?"

"I guess not. What are you looking for?"

"This is a copyright roadblock. We've had reports of plagiarized screenplays in this area. Do you have any stacks of papers or items in binder clips in your vehicle?"

"Um, I don't think so..."

"Then what is this??" He holds up a familiar-looking stack of paper that apparently he has pulled from my trunk. He's also holding the canvas grocery bags I am always forgetting to take into the store.

"Oh, that's a draft of my novel," I stammer, "I've been working on it. But I thought it was only on my computer. I don't remember printing it out."

"Sure you don't. Like we haven't heard that before. Step out of the car, ma'am...."

We are ushered to a log cabin-type structure that has appeared on the hill out of nowhere. Inside it is one enormous room, where lots of other drivers and their passengers are pacing around and discussing our shared predicament. People are reenacting portions of movies and plays (in costume, of course) and then explaining loudly how what they've written is clearly different from this one or that one.

The officers enter the cabin, also dressed in elaborate stage costumes (including long renaissance style dresses), but still wearing their trooper hats and badges.They announce that we should all form a single-file line, that it's time for the 'Big Production.' We follow them out the door into a bright light....


-----------------------------
And I wake up. So, any Jungian analysts want to take a shot??

2 comments:

Grimlock said...

That dream is a classic case of anxiety over your recent sexual performance.

P.S. to YDH: You're welcome!

P.P.S. I wonder if this comment'll get approved...

M.J. Pullen said...

You know, dearest, I thought I was pretty nerdy using a quote from Theoden for the title; but it's so nice to be reminded that I have not cornered that market.

Your comments are always approved! ;)