Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What I Would Say if I Could

If my mom were alive, she'd be 62 today. Anyone who's lost someone close to them knows that birthdays and holidays take on extra significance when you are missing someone important in your life. Days like this I often imagine what things might be like if she had lived.... and I always come to the conclusion that we'd still be driving each other nuts.

It seems we never really appreciate people until they're no longer around. I guess that's because all the friction of actually being in a relationship with another human being is taken away and we are left to enjoy and long for the relationship itself.

So sometimes instead of imagining what it would be like if she were still alive, I imagine what I would say to her if the gap between our two planes of existence (whatever that means) were temporarily bridged... if I could talk to her again from right here and now, or even send a letter to the proverbial Other Side. That letter changes daily, of course. Here's what it looks like today.


Dear Mom,
It sounds obvious to say that I think about you all the time, but I do. I miss you. I have always missed you, even when you were still alive but unable to be really present with me. But now that I am a mom myself, I long for you in a way that makes my heart ache with loss and missed opportunities.

You must know, from wherever you are, that we have a little boy now. He's named after your dad and has a funny, laid-back spirit just like his namesake. I imagine that you look in on him from time to time; and sometimes, when he laughs in his sleep, I think I can almost see you there, hovering around the edge of my reality, holding him in a way that only the two of you can know.

I know you are laughing when you watch me struggling with my new role -- especially at those frequent moments when I realize I haven't the foggiest idea what to do next. You'll be glad to know that the little guy has humbled me -- I've come to appreciate all you did for us in ways that I never did before.

So today, instead of just saying "I miss you," I'd also like to say "thank you." For loving me and making sure that I knew it, regardless of how hard life was for you. For singing to me with your beautiful voice (I try to sing to your grandson daily, but I didn't inherit your talent -- it won't be long before he's begging me to stop). For teaching me to be a part of something greater than myself. For doing everything you could to make me feel incredibly special and valuable. I didn't realize until long after you were gone what a tremendous gift that was, and what joy you took in giving it.

Thanks, Mom, for teaching me about love and inspiring me to share it. Happy Birthday.

5 comments:

Grimlock said...

She was a good woman, despite her faults. She never showed me anything other than acceptance and understanding. She was probably just happy I was dating her crazy daughter, though. ZING!

I think she's proud of what you're making of this life, and I'm so dense that I only just now realized how profoundly your experiences with your family have shaped your career and the direction your life has taken.

Rest easy, ma'am, until we meet again.

P.S. The last paragraph of ADitL2 made me cry, you jerk! Splendid use of Chekhov's Gun.

M.J. Pullen said...

As always, Ross, making you cry is near the top of my agenda (see ADitL - 90's Edition).

Thanks for the kind words and for remembering!

Unknown said...

That is beautifully written Manda! It conveys your emotion fully, and makes me ponder also. You are right we never know how important someone is to us until they are not available anymore. Thank you so much for sharing your valuable thoughts and making your mother proud wherever happy place she is at. I am sure she would be so proud to see you grow into the mother and a person that you have become. Thanks

M.J. Pullen said...

Thanks, Fatima! ;)

M.J. Pullen said...

I should also say, Ross, (since I failed to do it earlier) that Mom ADORED you, and not just because you were dating her crazy daughter! ;)